More Freedom

After 6 long and agonizing weeks, I woke up this morning, very motivated, so I decided to drive myself to work. I was a little nervous at first, but I went out to the car to let it warm up, and I pushed gently, then firmly, on the brake...no problem at all. "I can do this," I said excitedly and out loud, though nobody heard me except perhaps the trees on the front lawn. I went back in the house, grabbed my coffee and backpack, and off I went. I have to say, it felt absolutely wonderful. You couldn't wipe the grin off my face, I was so delighted to get behind the wheel again. It means I'm not dependent on anybody to get where I'm going, though I'm eternally grateful to my daughter and Curt, because without them, I don't know what I would have done. My daughter Jenn got up each and every morning to drive me to work, sleep still falling from her eyes as she navigated the downtown Albany traffic. And each night, Curt waited patiently at the curb outside the Education building until I came out, gathered up me and my crutches, and delivered us home safe and sound. In my mind, they should both be canonized.

Comments

Popular Posts